The Utah State Board of Education IT department is working on a comprehensive
modernization initiative to replace legacy systems, referred to as the Utah Schools Information Management System (USIMS).
Working for the USBE is a rare opportunity to use a combination of the latest technologies, best?of?breed software packages and custom development to deploy a refreshed code base for replacing the current legacy system data collection and associated reporting applications and reports from the ground up. We are looking for a high?energy, adaptive team player with a great work ethic to join our Information Technology (IT) team as a Project Manager/Product Owner, reporting to the USIMS Program Manager/Chief Product Owner. The Product Owner is accountable for the delivery of components of the USIMS system that create obvious and compelling value to our stakeholders and users.
- Serve as subject matter expert (SME) in relevant product domains. Rapidly develop an understanding of the user base to guide product decisions.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to communicate customer needs, adjust requirements based on technical feedback, support backlog refinement, and manage to change priorities.
- Capture and document requirements in the form of epics and user stories for all new functionality, present user stories to product teams, and ensure new functionality meets the acceptance criteria.
- Draft key objectives and results, strategies and apply the data for the product to make business decisions.
- Develop appropriately detailed specifications for the product features so they are clearly understood by the development teams.
- Actively participate in all aspects of the product development cycle.
- Research, learn and implement technologies to develop a background for successful product definition.
- Employ and develop product planning and management best practices, establishing and executing reliable processes for collecting and prioritizing customer requirements
- Lead through influence in both technical and functional settings.
- Assist the development team with release planning, functional research, and testing of releases.
- Work with other Product Owners to ensure dependencies are prioritized appropriately across teams and in participating in community of practices sessions to share best practices.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree – Candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or equivalent experience.
- Functional Experience – Candidates must have 3+ years of experience within an education domain.
- Software Development Experience – Candidates must have 2+ years of software development product ownership experience or software development experience.
- Leadership – Candidates must demonstrate strong leadership, time management and problem-solving skills with a minimum of 3 years leading people (either through influence or direct report).
- Interpersonal Relationships – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work well with others of all personality types while demonstrating problem-solving and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Communication – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to communicate in verbal and written form with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Initiative – Candidates must demonstrate success as a self-starting, hardworking and inquisitive worker.
- Teamwork – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work with cross-functional teams to deliver on a common goal.
- Scrum/Agile – Candidates must demonstrate experience in a Scrum/agile product environment to include deep understanding and experience with Agile methodologies.
- Automation Experience – Candidates must demonstrate experience in automation software development life cycle (SDLC) methodologies, tools and processes.
- Certification – Candidates must possess PSPO I or greater, PSM I or greater, CSM 1 or greater, CSPO 1 or greater.
- Domain Driven Design – Candidates must demonstrate overall understanding and experience with Domain Driven Design
Senior Java Developer
Full Stack Software Developer
Why consider consulting for Palmer Software?
Have the flexibility to discover new interests or use as a stepping stone.
Expand Your Skill Set
Gain valuable experience while working with new agencies and the most current technology.
Built-In Support System
Work alongside contractors in your same position who will help you.
Low Recruiter Fees
Hold on to more of your hard-earned money with low fees that leave you with more in your pocket.
Live and work minutes away from top-rated ski resorts, beautiful State and National Parks, and year-round outdoor recreation.